Patch cable RJ45 / LAN cable
Patch cables are an important part of setting up a local network.
If you want to connect several devices to the network at the same time, e.g. a laptop, a set-top box or a server cabinet, you first need an RJ45 patch cable. The different colours and categories in our range will help you to determine the order of the connections, the speed for each device or which device is connected to which port of the patch panel.
In this section you will find modern patch cords with RJ45 connectors, from leading product categories such as CAT 8.1, CAT 7a, CAT 7, CAT 6a, CAT 6 and CAT 5e with different insulation types and cable shapes.
What is the difference between patch cables? We will try to explain some of the criteria for choosing the right cable for you
Transmission speed and category
Patch cables have different data rates and are therefore divided into categories:
- 1 Gbit or 1000 Mbit/s - CAT 5e up to 100 MHz and CAT 6 patch cables up to 250 MHz.
- 10 Gbit or 10,000 Mbit/s - CAT 6a up to 500 MHz CAT 7 up to 700 MHz and CAT 7a patch cables up to 1000 MHz
- 40 Gbit or 40,000 Mbit/s - CAT 8.1 patch cable up to 2000 MHz
All patch cables also differ in the sheath material. Therefore, depending on the sheath material, the cable is suitable for indoor or outdoor use.
- LSZH sheath - emits small amounts of smoke and non-toxic halogens in case of fire.
- PVC sheath - polyvinyl chloride with high durability, chemical and thermal resistance
- PE sheath - polyethylene sheath, is waterproof and has low dielectricity
Shielded twisted pair cable has the advantage over unshielded cable (UTP) in that it protects the signal from interference. This cable rejects electromagnetic radiation and radio frequency interference that disrupts the signal. Shielded cables are mandatory for networks installed near sources of interference.
If it is necessary to protect the signal from external interference, the entire conductor of the twisted pair cable is wrapped with a shield. To protect against internal interference that occurs between pairs of conductors, each pair is surrounded by a shield.
- U/UTP - Unshielded cable / Unshielded twisted pair cable.
- F/UTP - Foil shielded cable / Unshielded twisted pair.
- S/UTP - Copper braid shielded cable / Unshielded twisted pair.
- S/FTP - Copper braided shield / foil shielded twisted pair.
All patch cables are compatible with all the above categories. Depending on the combination of cable categories, the data transmission rate may vary.
For each product in the "Matching" section, our specialists have compiled a list of items that may be useful for a complete installation package.
If you have any questions about the product or the installation, our customer service specialists will answer your questions in our online shop.